Victoria's Reviews > The Gates

The Gates by John Connolly

Jun 27, 12

bookshelves: fantasy-science-fiction
Read from October 21 to 22, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 2

Oh! What a charmingly hilarious and yet remarkably creepy book! I absolutely adored this book! My only complaints are that it is too short and I want to know when the sequel hinted at will be published! I loved the characters! And it was absolutely laugh-out-loud funny in parts! It was so much fun to read that I can only hope Connolly had half as much writing it! I just loved it - the imagery, the style of the book, the dialogue... And the great anticipation that I had for it did not in any way diminish my enjoyment of the book, as so often happens with awaited-for novels. It was just terrific. I enjoyed everything about it - it was just so unique and charming!

Connolly is such a talented writer, and here in this YA book (that adults will undoubtedly enjoy as well), he manages to tackle a dark subject (Hell opening up on Earth) and puts the lighter side of his sense of humour and storytelling ability into it to brighten it into a shining and wonderful novel. I can’t wait for the sequel!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gates.