Tank Green's Reviews > Religion and the Rise of Historicism: W. M. L. de Wette, Jacob Burckhardt, and the Theological Origins of Nineteenth-Century Historical Consciousness

Religion and the Rise of Historicism by Thomas Albert Howard

Feb 18, 2010

bookshelves: to-read, history, theory, religion

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Religion and the Rise of Historicism.

message 1: by Saf (new)

Saf Been book shopping? Or are these library copies? :p

message 2: by Tank (new) - added it

Tank Green i went book shopping. i'm a naughty girl! (actually, the turkey/secularism one is from the library, the rest i bought though...)

funny anecdote for this particular title: i got it from a lovely little 2nd hand shop in st. andrews and as i went to pay for it the man said, 'oh, this looks [insert groany-moany noise and a sour facial expression:]; it must be for your course.' uh. no. not exactly. i just thought it sounded interesting.

he made me feel like a right old saddo. :'(

message 3: by Saf (new)

Saf ah, I envy your book collection greatly, and wish there were decent 2nd hand bookshops near where I live, think I'll just go to hay-on-wye one day.
Also - he's more likely the old saddo :)

message 4: by Tank (new) - added it

Tank Green hehehe - thanks for making me feel better! ;)

i am a compulsive book purchaser. i was discussing it with one of my lecturers yesterday since he's the same way. we buy way more than we can read for reference reasons and in hope for future times. also, i have dreams of opening my own bookshop one day, so i sort of see my compulsion as an investment in my future. ha!

there aren't many good 2nd hand bookshops near where i live either (i commute into st. andrews). i'd love to go to hay-on-wye one day too! *dreamy sigh*

say, what is your PG degree in? and where at?