Denise's Reviews > The Postmistress

The Postmistress by Sarah Blake

Jul 16, 10

bookshelves: world-war-2-fiction, historical-fiction
Read on July 13, 2010

I couldn't wait to read this book because it is about the World War II era. This is an era filled with tragedy and heartache, but also huge acts of heroism and strength.
The Postmistress didn't disappoint me. Was this a happy tale or even an easy to read story? No. There is sadness throughout the entire book right to the end. I believe this fits the time period. The story takes you from the East coast of America to London during the Blitz all the way to war torn France and Germany. You can't help but respond emotionally to the folks Frankie comes in contact with on the trains. I have to admit that I shed some tears.
I loved the Frankie Bard character and related to her heartbreak at all she saw around her. Her voice cries out throughout the book for the world to wake up. Her frustration was understandable.
I admired the sense of duty that we see in Iris and her need to find order in the world around her. The character of Emma was more difficult to understand and I didn't connect with her as much as the others. Dr. Fitch made me angry - what more can I say about him but that? You can't help but adore Harry.
Great story - but not on the "light" side.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Postmistress.