Kat's Reviews > Mockingjay

Feb 18, 2010

bookshelves: young-adult, books-i-own, read-in-2010, fantasy
Recommended for: everyone
Read from August 24 to 26, 2010 , read count: 1

I was teetering between giving this book 4 or 5 stars. I reserve 5 stars for books I really, really like. Did I really, really like Mockingjay? Well, let's see. I waited six months since I pre-ordered the book to get it in my hands...I hated that I had to pause my reading so that I could do things like eat and sleep...and I'd gaze at and pat the book every time I picked it up to read again. So, yes, I suppose that means I really, really liked it.

Catching Fire, this book's predecessor, ends with quite a cliffhanger. For anyone who's just getting into the series, I envy you for not having to wait so long to find out what happens after the events of that book. In Mockingjay, Katniss has yet again survived insurmountable circumstances, and she finds herself being used (again) as a pawn in others' play for power. But she's scarred, mentally and physically, from all that she's suffered, and she's basically a loose cannon. After making a fool of the Capitol and President Snow (again), Katniss is enlisted by the rebels of District 13 to be their Mockingjay — a symbol of hope, of defiance against the Capitol and all it stands for. With Katniss on their side, the rebels hope to unify all 12 other districts and overthrow the Capitol. Katniss is constantly doubting who she can trust in this rebellion, and it makes deciding each of her next moves a difficult — and sometimes deadly — task.

I don't cry very often when I read books (except for Harry Potter, which gets me pretty gutted), but there was a moment when tears actually fell down my face while reading Mockingjay. And it wasn't at the end either. I owe it to Suzanne Collins's talent for writing emotions so well. She allows the reader to get inside Katniss's head and experience her feelings — her anger, fear, hatred, sadness, despair and hope.

Some endings are easy to predict, but such is not the case here. For the most part, I had no idea how this book was going to end. Oh, I had my hopes of what might happen (especially concerning the 'love triangle' involving Katniss, Gale and Peeta). Some come to fruition, some don't. But, in general, I'm pleased with how everything plays out in the end. In a word, it was bittersweet.

It's difficult to review the final book in a series as an individual, because I'm compelled to review the trilogy as a whole. The Hunger Games is a highly inventive concept. No doubt it gets inspiration from other books or real life, but Suzanne Collins has created a world so unique, and so terrifying, with characters whom you either want to comfort with a hug or hope they die in a fire. I'm not surprised that these books have been #1 bestsellers on so many book lists. They're gripping, entertaining, thought-provoking and worthy of every accolade they've received. Definitely one of the best young-adult series today. And it doesn't hurt that the book jackets are so pretty!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

Emma Oh wow Kat I'm so excited to read the rest of the series now! I never know though with a series like this is it better to drag it out a bit so you have longer to enjoy it or is it better to just read book after book like you are compelled to and find out what happens as soon as possible?

message 2: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat I read the three books many months apart from each other. I think most people wouldn't be able to spread them out like that, because they're so suspenseful and keep you on the edge of your seat. But just because I didn't immediately jump from one book to the next, it doesn't mean you shouldn't. ;) I say, if you can get your hands on the last two books, read them as soon as possible!