Misty's Reviews > Right Behind You

Right Behind You by Gail Giles

Feb 18, 2010

Read in February, 2010

When I picked this book up, I never expected to like the main character, Kip. At the time the book opens, Kip, nine, sets his friend Bobbie, seven, on fire over a baseball glove. Bobby dies.
Kip then becomes a product of the system when he is placed in a facility for violent juvenile offenders. Worse, he becomes a product of what he believes other see him as: a child murderer and a monster. As he matures from child to teenager he uncovers the truth—even though he committed an atrocious act, he is not a monster.
Giles is a master at showing us the reality under the facts, the story behind the headlines, the human beneath the label. I didn't think I'd get beyond the act introducing the main character, but the combination of Kip's inner struggle and self-effacing personality made him very likable. His wit and wisdom transcended the rough times he experienced in the facility and in his new life, which at one point became too good to be true. When he sabotaged his and his family’s fresh start, I wanted to kick him and hug him at the same time.
While Giles allows Kip to openly explore his feelings, emotions and reactions, she doesn't let him feel sorry for himself or blame others for his predicament. Another reason Kip was so likable.
The short chapters and snappy dialogue make this a quick, enjoyable read. I highly recommend it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Right Behind You.