Amy's Reviews > Snow Angels

Snow Angels by James Thompson

Feb 18, 2010

bookshelves: 2010-reads
Read from June 03 to 06, 2010

First off, Finland doesn't have the highest suicide rate in the world. While alcohol may be the number one killer there, I don't think everyone runs around drunk for a good month of the year.

With that aside, I enjoyed this story. I love Finland (even though I've never been there... sad face) so I was really excited to see a book by a new American/Finnish author. I had two main problems with this book (besides the factual errors and exaggerations). I really didn't like the character of his wife. I hope she evolves into something different because she is very close-minded and adds a negative feeling to the book. Also, I don't like the negative light he paints Finland in. First off, he's an American who VOLUNTARILY moved to Finland. If it was that bad and depressing, why would he do that? I'm sure he could find inspiration for novels elsewhere. Maybe he paints it in a negative light to discourage other people from moving there and stealing some of his beautiful wilderness space.

Goodreads lists this as "Inspector Kari Vaara, #1) so I hope that means that Thompson is planning on writing another book. I'll look forward to reading that and hope for some improvements. It's hard to judge a first novel because sometimes authors haven't gotten into their specific styles and don't describe situations or details as well in the beginning. If Thompson can move from less telling to more showing, this will be a series to watch for in the future. I'll give this 4 stars with the expectation that his next effort will be better.

I'd love to read a Finn's impression of this book. I think that would put a really interesting spin on things and shed some light on my issues with the way Finland is portrayed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow Angels.

06/04/2010 page 75
28.41% "interesting so far"

Susanna A book set in Finland! Please let me know what you think! This one's on my TBR list :)

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy I'm excited to read it! The reviews don't look all that great, but I love Finland (must be all the hockey players here in the US!) so I'm really looking forward to it.