Kathryn's Reviews > What To Do About Alice?: How Alice Roosevelt Broke the Rules, Charmed the World, and Drove Her Father Teddy Crazy!

What To Do About Alice? by Barbara Kerley

Feb 18, 10

bookshelves: childrens-picture-books, history
Read in February, 2010

The charming, humorous illustrations really won me over and are my favorite part of this story about Teddy Roosevelt's oldest daughter, who "ate up the world" one (generally improper) adventure at a time yet became the darling of the world and dubbed "Princess Alice." I think it's a really interesting book to share with children in terms of the discussion that could follow--should Alice be seen as a brave young lady who defied the stifling conventions of society or as a disobedient daughter who caused her father a great deal of trouble--or both? Did Alice have any goals in terms of bettering women's role in society, or was she merely out to have a good time? Lots of room for interpretation here! :-) Alas, I got this from the library and, as has happened to me in the past, the extremely annoying library binding process taped the dust jacket to the cover so I could not read all of the historical notes printed on the inside back cover--gurr!--but the research I could make out seems quite good.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What To Do About Alice?.

Lisa Vegan Grrrr. I hate that.

And right now I'm dealing with a (second) moldy copy of a library book. Disgusting.

Kathryn Eeew! I cannot stand moldy library books or ones with lots of stains. Bleh! Kinda ruins the reading experience. Why can't people be more responsible when they read--or at least be made to pay a fine if they destroy an otherwise nice copy.

Lisa Vegan This, and the previous copy, just smell really moldy. REALLY, REALLY moldy. Don't see stains. Two copies. Old paperbacks? But I have plenty and they don't smell like these.

Lisa Vegan Abigail wrote: "Too bad whatever service the public library uses doesn't do the same! "

Agreed. I've had this problem with so many library books. I've "cheated" a few times a just a bit and put it back together to the best of my ability.

Lisa Vegan Chandra, That does sound wonderful. I'll see if my library has it.