Georg's Reviews > The Closers

The Closers by Michael Connelly

Feb 24, 10

bookshelves: english, crime
Read from February 18 to 24, 2010

After all my praise for Connelly I have now to correct myself a little bit. Admittedly the plot of “The Closers” is good. As always Connelly knows how to lead the reader through the story, build up a lot of suspense and the end was really surprising and satisfying to me.

But the middle part of the book has its length. It takes page after page to describe how they set the trap (telephone bugs, false tattoos, choosing of the right car, etc.) before the action begins. And, no, “Reichert” is not the German word for “The Reich’s heart”. (But “Verloren” is the German word for “lost”).

But this is not my point: I really liked “The Brass Verdict”, but what bothered me was Connelly’s undisguised sympathy for self-justice and the capital punishment. In “The Closers” it gets worse. Bosch seems to think that dead is not punishment enough for a criminal. What would he prefer? Torturing? Stoning to death? Bury alive? Read this:

“A dull thud hit Bosch in the stomach. He had started liking Richard Ross Jr. for the Verloren killing. … But now he was dead. Could their investigation be leading them to such a dead end? Would they end up going back to Rebecca Verloren’s parents and telling them their long-dead daughter had been taken from them by someone who also was long dead? What kind of justice would that be?” (p. 233)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Closers.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steve (new)

Steve Murray Interesting take on Connelly -- I'm rethinking whether to read more of his books if he's pro capital punishment. Creepy... and I shook hands with the guy at Bouchercon too!