Carrie B's Reviews > The Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical

The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne

Feb 18, 10

Read in September, 2008

This book is not well-written, it smacks of idealism and self-righteousness from time to time, and it's not realistic to think everyone that reads it is going to become an "ordinary radical" or "new monastic." What I think the reader will find by reading it is humor and a desire to shut the mouth and stop throwing money at "causes" and actually DO something. You can bitch all you want about how he's idealistic and crazy and hates authority, but I don't think there is any question that he and his fellowes have a deep desire to follow Jesus authentically and "do" rather than "say."

How many times have you walked out on the streets and talked to someone that was homeless or suffering? Not given them money or food or tried to convert them, but just talked to them? I can count the times I've done that on less than one hand -- twice. I'll bet most of you are at or below that two-finger mark as well. I need hands and feet of myself and a few friends to count the number of times Jesus did that in the Bible. So what this book did for me is to challenge me to get beyond my own damn self and my family, my friends, my house, my city, my-my-my and think about others and form a plan to go out and do with and for others. I think that's the majority of what he was getting at. I think that's precisely what you'll get out of this volume. If you don't, you need to examine your heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Irresistible Revolution.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jonathan "ou can bitch all you want about how he's idealistic and crazy and hates authority, but I don't think there is any question that he and his fellowes have a deep desire to follow Jesus authentically and "do" rather than "say.""

So true - that's what I liked most about the book. Try to follow Jesus in all he says - and keep trying until the end.