Jay's Reviews > Life of Pi

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

2419499
Feb 20, 10

bookshelves: books-i-own, classic, historical-recent, philosophy-and-religion, redrum
Read from February 18 to 21, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I hate twist endings.

Okay, that's not true. I like twist endings, but only when the surprise works, and the hints have been there all along and it doesn't mean the some three hundred pages you've just read are all a lie. The book could have just ended. The hints could have been placed more clearly at the beginning. All could have been left all alone. But it had to be pushed just that little bit further and everybody had to be cannibalised and for what? A bit more of a 'ho ho! look what I can do!'?

And goddammit, I enjoyed the book.

Yes, there are hints that it was all made up. There's only so much time you can spend utterly alone before you start to crack. He starts hallucinating that Richard Parker is talking to him, the other sailor, the floating algae island, the very fact he was in the middle of the Pacific Ocean for 227 days.

Pi asks the investigators, and us by extension, whether we prefer the story with the animals or without. You know what? I'd prefer it without the animals. I'd like to read about a young man stuck on a boat and every one of the people onboard slowly start to die and get eaten, and when everyone is dead and gone, he slowly starts to become mad. That's what I'd like to read.

Sure, it was interesting, reading about how trained the tiger and all the wonders of the ocean, but it felt like a light version of Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea. The island part was just nuts.

I did enjoy it, but the ending ruined it for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life of Pi.

02/18/2010 page 20