Baylee Washburn's Reviews > Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst

F_50x66
Feb 17, 10

bookshelves: pbgs1-choice-analysis
Read in February, 2010

The many disappointments and unfortunate events that Alexander encounters in this story are realistic and authentic to young readers who encounter this book. The book uses repetitive phrases such as “It was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day,” that allow listeners to become active in the reading when hearing this story read aloud. This repetition used in the story also contributes to reading ease and ties together the many terrible, horrible events that occur in the story. Additionally, the long sentences that are used to describe Alexander’s experiences seem to mimic the way that young children talk when they are upset. When I was an elementary student, I loved this book because I felt that I was able to relate to Alexander, and I sympathized with the struggles he encountered in the book. It seems that the author was intentional in the style used in this book so that Alexander’s story was reflective of children’s experiences and reactions to disappointments or unfortunate events that arise in life.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.