Janie's Reviews > Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense

Family Matters by David Guterson

Mar 07, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction, pnw, edupunction, r-and-r
Read from February 17 to March 26, 2010

A homeschooling book written by a public school educator. He teaches high school English at Bainbridge High and homeschools his children. A friend recommended this one.

I loved what he had to say in the introduction. What he came to in the conclusion seemed like it was written by a different man entirely.

I like that he didn't have too many prescriptions about doing (home)school. I resonate with his experience as a classroom teacher (though I'm befuddled by his unexplained, passionless decision to keep at it). I agree with his descriptions on the institutional troubles of public education. The book is anaconda long on problems, and is shorter than a toadstool on solutions -- and I think that's largely because he's in the system.

Guterson is stuck in the Second Wave (cf. Alvin Toffler). He almost looks ahead to the Third Wave, but he just isn't getting out his boogie board and going for it.

He constantly talks about how the family unit is weak and disintegrating, but he never explains *how* or *why* it is disintegrating ... this missing acknowledgement of the defining theme of the book is a gaping omission. He peppers the book with Progressive speech but can't seem to get down to brass tacks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Family Matters.