Dianne's Reviews > A Thousand Splendid Suns

F_50x66
Feb 24, 10

bookshelves: fiction-literature
Read from February 17 to 22, 2010

Marvelous epic story of the illegitimate fifteen year old Mariam sent to marry an elderly widower Rasheed, a cobbler in Kabul. Childless, Rasheed takes a second young wife Laila. As events unfold in Afghanistan - the Soviet occupation and retreat, the ensueing civil war, the Taliban theocracy, the final American intervention- the characters are all affected in one way or another. A comparison would be Gone With the Wind, but I don't think Hoseini has the skill to do the story justice.

Mariam is a superbly drawn and her ending very moving. Rasheed on the other hand is black through and through, with no emotional or physical redeeming characteristics. He is a stereotypical figure. The fascinating events which they all live through are mouthed by Rasheed talking to the empty air. I got bored. I did not want a lecture from Rasheed.

However it is an easy read, and the insight into life for women in Afghanistan very sobering. I would certainly recommend it to my friends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Splendid Suns.