Britta's Reviews > Harvesting the Heart

Harvesting the Heart by Jodi Picoult

Dec 14, 07

Read in December, 2006

"He wandered off, leaving me wondering why white people named girl babies things like Hope and Faith and Patience - names they could never live up to - and black mothers called their daughters Mercy, Deliverance, Salvation - crosses they'd always have to bear."

"That someone like [him] could want me was still overwhelming. He held me the way a child holds a snowflake, lightly, as if he knew in the back of his mind I might disappear in the blink of an eye. He wore his self-assurance like a soft overcoat. I wa snot just in love with him; I worshipped him. I had never met anyone like him, and, amazed that it was ME he had chosen, I made up my mind: I would be whatever he wanted; I would follow him to the ends of the earth."

"Thinking that in my house - OUR house - furniture would be soft, with curved edges, colored bright to remind you you were alive, and everything, EVERYTHING, would be replaceable."

"Suddenly I realize that this is what I've been waiting for - a man who depends entirely on me... I dreamed for years of a man who couldn't live without me, a man who pictured my face when he closed his eyes, who loved me when I was a mess in the morning and when dinner was late and even when I overloaded the washing machine and burned out the motor. [My son] stares up at me as if I can do no wrong. I have always wanted someone who treats me the way he does; I just didn't know that I'd have to give birth to him."

"It's not about possession and limits. It is about giving everything until there's nothing left to give, and then searching until you find a little bit more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harvesting the Heart.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lea I just finished reading this book this past weekend and the quotes you included in your review were the ones that caught my eye and would love to remember from this book too.