Britta's Reviews > The Kite Runner

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Jan 10, 08

Read in February, 2006

"For you, a thousand times over."

"...attention shifted to him like sunflowers turning to the sun."

"But even when he wasn't around, he was."

"When you kill a man, you steal a life. You steal a wife's right to a husband, rob his children of a father. When you tell a lie, you steal someone's right to the truth. When you cheat, you steal the right to fairness. There is no act more wretched than stealing."

"...she had a voice that made me think of warm milk and honey."

"My heart stuttered at the thought of her."

"...and I would walk by, pretending not to know her, but dying to."

"It turned out that, like satan, cancer had many names."

"Every woman needed a husband, even if he did silence the song in her."

"The first time I saw the Pacific, I almost cried."

"Proud. His eyes gleamed when he said that and I liked being on the receiving end of that look."

"Make morning into a key and throw it into the well,
Go slowly, my lovely moon, go slowly.
Let the morning sun forget to rise in the East,
Go slowly, lovely moon, go slowly."

"Men are easy,... a man's plumbing is like his mind: simple, very few surprises. You ladies, on the other hand... well, God put a lot of thought into making you."

"All my life, I'd been around men. That night, I discovered the tenderness of a woman."

"And I could almost feel the emptiness in [her] womb, like it was a living, breathing thing. It had seeped into our marriage, that emptiness, into our laughs, and our lovemaking. And late at night, in the darkness of our room, I'd feel it rising from [her] and settling between us. Sleeping between us. Like a newborn child."

"America was a river, roaring along unmindful of the past. I could wade into this river, let my sins drown to the bottom, let the waters carry me someplace far. Someplace with no ghosts, no memories, and no sins. If for nothing else, for that I embraced America."

"...and every day I thank [God] that I am alive, not because I fear death, but because my wife has a husband and my son is not an orphan."

"...lifting him from the certainty of turmoil and dropping him in a turmoil of uncertainty."

"...sometimes the dead are luckier."

"He walked like he was afraid to leave behind footprints. He moved as if not to stir the air around him."

"...and when she locked her arms around my neck, when I smelled apples in her hair, I realized how much I had missed her. 'You're still the morning sun to me...' I whispered."

"...there is a God, there always has been. I see him here, in the eys of the people in this [hospital] corridor of desperation. This is the real house of God, this is where those who have lost God will find Him... there is a God, there has to be, and now I will pray, I will pray that He will forgive that I have neglected Him all of these years, forgive that I have betrayed, lied, and sinned with impunity only to turn to Him now in my hour of need. I pray that He is as merciful, benevolent, and gracious as His book says He is."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kite Runner.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Shane Miller Thanks for realizing the beauty in this book and sharing it with all of us! Plus this helped me on a project, although I wish you had page numbers!

Jasmine you really highlighted the words that jumped into my heart while reading this book !!

Jcorbman You're right. It is incredibly maudlin and hackneyed.

Minhazul Hoque These quotes are like the most important from the book. If I could I would be able to do an essay on each one. Khaled Hossein is a true artist. He is able to take a few words and make beautiful poetry out of it. Even for some of my personal friendships I think about these quotes to see what kind of person I am.

Aqsa khaled hossein really proved himself to be a good writter and these quotes are the very essence of the novel.

message 6: by nate (new) - rated it 1 star

nate some of the worst quotes ever, this would have worked much better as a negative review..

message 7: by Kubra (new)

Kubra Wow love the quotes. I've read his other book, "a thousand splendid suns" it's amazing I advise all to read!!

Kinga ""Children aren't coloring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colors." Geez. What is that even supposed to mean? Pseud-lyrcial cheesiness

Kristen Good job with the quotes. I had forgotten these. Nice. Important thoughts.

Ashley Love the quotes. I was just sitting at work the other day thinking of this book. I must've read it about a year ago, but it still creeps up in my thoughts.

Kinga I am not cynical. I love beautiful writing. This just wasn't. It was actually a textbook example of bad writing.

message 12: by Richard (new) - added it

Richard I was humming and hawing about putting this on my to-read list. Thanks to this review, I know now I definitely won't.

message 13: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Murray If I was to write a review of a book that I gave as many stars to as you did I would want to be able to quote the whole book not just sentences here and there.

I have read the Kite Runner and I would never recommend it to anyone unless I really didn't like them!

In between the 'beautiful' quotes you have picked out there is nothing but terrible cliches, foreshadowing that is so obvious that it feels as though you're being hit around the head with it, and writing that is so heavy-handed and clumsy that it feels as though a child has written it.

Virgie I agree with you Britta; this book was wonderful & you have included some great quotes from it

Fatma Al Balushi Britta, I agree with Virgie and urself. I still havent finished the book but we have to admit it is capturing and the quotes u chose r beautiful. =)

message 16: by Ross (new)

Ross Are these quotes you like? Some are crap.
The author needs practice.

message 17: by Leah (new)

Leah Thanks for this list of incredibly trite, hackneyed quotes. Definitely won't waste my time with this pap. Cheers!

Angeli Dela paz I've read the book a year ago and reading the quotes reminded me of how I fell in love with the story.

Dania i didnt read the book yet, but these quotes are beautiful ! it gave me courage to open it and read it now !!

Kinga Yes, courage is what you need to start reading it. LOL.

Rosemary Thanks for the best quotes from this amazing book!

Norelle thank you for these, I think some people forget english was his second language.

Fardin This book had many amazing quotes which described Amirs life. For example, "For you a thousand times over" is said when he regrets his jealousy of Hasan and he says for him he'd do it a thousand times over. This book is very heartwarming yet realistic. i would recommend it to all my peers.

Donna I am only 25 pages into this book and already appreciate its poetry.

Amanda Ruth I read it 4years ago. Thank you for reminding all those beautiful lines!!

message 26: by Piyush (last edited Apr 05, 2014 11:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Piyush Zambad would like to add 2 more :
"Quiet is peace. Quiet is turning down the volume knob on life. Silence is pushing the off button. Shutting it down. All of it."

"...what I took a yes from him was in actuality more of a quiet surrender, not so much acceptance as an act of relinquishment by one too weary to decide and far too tired to believe."

message 27: by Al0 (new) - rated it 5 stars

Al0 Al Thanks for sharing such quotes from the novel

message 28: by Oela (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oela Thank you for listing them! people who read to relish every word of the moment and not just as a book critic is likely to love this book!
Thanks!

message 29: by Ombitsman (new)

Ombitsman this is a really nice book..only if one sees beneath its beautiful
bravo Khaleed

Donna "I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded, not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering its things, packing up, and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night."

Sapna Saini Wonderful line from the Book

shaurya gupta The quote about theft being the only sin changed me.

message 33: by Amit (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amit K Thanks a lot Britta..
For walking me through the book again..

message 34: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Grice Children aren't a colouring book, yep favourite quote, just read that bit today and wrote it down. As with the thief aspect, every sin is a form of theft. Interesting.

Phala "And that's the thing about people who mean everything they say. They think everyone else does too."

message 36: by Sp (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sp Speaks good collection! you saved my time

Lloyd I agree whose quotes by themselves are nice- sentimentally at least- but as a review they aren't telling anybody anything. Nothing about the dull redemption story, or all the one dimensional characters that populate the world, it doesn't confront the fact that the book is just a walking pile of metaphors and nice little coincidences and most annoyingly it doesn't even talk about the book. Those quotes are just empty babbles of sentiment without context, although if you explained said context and how poorly the story is told, they would never go near this book.

Sumit Sharma Wow! Thank you for rekindling the memory. I made me want to read it again...