Stevie's Reviews > The Pursuit of God with Study Guide with Book

The Pursuit of God with Study Guide with Book by A.W. Tozer

Apr 14, 08

bookshelves: spiritual-kog, read-annually, books-owned, read-more-than-1
Read in February, 2008

This is Tozer's most well known book and for good reason. I was stirred in my heart to pursue God all out, humbly rest in Him, and see all of my life as a holy sacrament.

Poignant Quotes:

"The Bible is not an end in itself, but a means to bring men to an intimate and satisfying knowledge of God, that they may enter into Him, that they may delight in His presence, may taste and know the inner sweetness of the very God Himself in hte core and center of their hearts."

"[God] waits to be wanted. Too bad that with many of us He waits so long, so very long, in vain."

"The man who has God for his treasure has all things in One."

"Abraham's testing was, at the time, not known to him as such, yet if he had taken some course other than the one he did, the whole history of the Old Testament would have been different."

"Let us beware of tinkering with our inner life, hoping ourselves to rend the veil. God must do everything for us. Our part is to yield and trust."

"...they (holy saints) had spiritual awareness and that they went on to cultivate it until it became the biggest thing in their lives. They differed from the average person in that when they felt the inward longing they did something about it."

"We will know Him in increasing degree as our receptivity becomes more perfect by faith and love and practice."

"...faith is the gaze of a soul upon a saving God."

"The man who has struggled to purify himself and has had nothing but repeated failures will experience real relief when he stops tinkering with his soul and looks away to the perfect One. While he looks at Christ, the very things he has so long been trying to do will be getting done within him. It will be God working in him to will and to do."

"The man of God set his heart to exalt God above all; God accepted his intention as fact and acted accordingly. Not perfection, but holy intention made the difference."

"In himself, nothing; in God, everything. That is his (holy saint) motto."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pursuit of God with Study Guide with Book.