Rose's Reviews > Dead Until Dark

Feb 20, 10

bookshelves: extremely-light-brain-candy, vampire
Recommended to Rose by: Katie Murphy
Read from February 17 to 20, 2010

It would be silly of me to waste too much on pointing out all of the inconsistencies that completely irritated me in this book. I do feel the need to touch on a few of them.

Pros:
First of all, I have been reading some very serious, heavy literature as of late and definitely needed a break with something light. If I could use food as metaphor to describe this book, it would be whipped-cream as it is defintely light and fluffy. There is very little character development, however it doesn't seem to need it. The author keeps the story moving at a break-neck speed and doesn't boggle it down with a bunch of wordiness or back story for every character. I figure since it is a series, she will have plenty of time for that along the way. Sookie, Sam, Bill, Jason and all the characters are not too colorful, do not have much depth to them, yet they are likeable.

SOME SPOILERS HERE:

Cons:
This author is writing a nice, fun, lightweight series, I get that, but she needs to add some reality to it for heavens sake so that I don't have to roll my eyes at so many inconsistencies or not-true-to-life reactions. Example: A response to someone loosing a family member, particularly to violence and discovers their loved ones body, they are not concerned with what everyone is wearing or that her buttons on her shirt are closed rather than open and was worried about how embarrassing that might be. That was so ridiculous I almost put the book down. I'm not sure if this author has ever experienced tragedy, but that would not be the response. Mind-numbing shock would most likely fit the bill. Although I understand she wants to keep it up and fun and not too deep, she could have handled that scene better.
Another scene is Sookie giving Bill the vampire some bad news and his reaction is anger. HE acts out his anger which is all well and good. However a few pages later, she is upset and angry (different scene) and asks Bill what does he does when he's angry. Uh, excuse me didn't you just see what his response was a few pages ago. Things like this made me a little cranky about the book.

With that said, I am in the mood for "escapism reading" and will continue with the series. It's fast and will not take too much of my time and give me the break I need from true literature. Plus, my husband has read them all and enjoyed and tells me they get better :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Until Dark.

02/19/2010 page 117
40.07% "A little silly, some inconsistencies, overall fun and funny."