Rebecca Armendariz's Reviews > The Mysteries of Pittsburgh

The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon

Nov 12, 2007

bookshelves: favorites-ever
Recommended for: girls who like boys. gay boys.
Read in August, 2007

This book is my new personal favorite. Mostly because of this quote,
"Every woman is a volume of stories, a catalogue of movements, a spectacular array of images."

The other quotes I like are:

“There had been a time in high school, see, when I wrestled with the possibility that I might be gay, a torturous six-month culmination of years of unpopularity and girllessness. At night I lay in bed and coolly informed myself that I was gay and that I had better get used to it.”

“It was as though she had studied American notions of beauty from some great distance and had come all the way only to find she had overdone the details: a debutante from another planet.”

“… listened for accents of friendship: the banality, relaxation, and lack of style that characterize a conversation between two friends.”

“‘Let’s drink something cool and refeshing,’ Phlox said, bobbing her head, widening and then narrowing her eyes like some lustful and wily biblical queen. ‘Beer,’ said Arthur and I.”

“A gin and tonic under its tiny canopy of lime elevates character and makes for enlightened conversation.”

“That evening I rode downtown on an unaccountably empty bus, sitting in the last row. At the front I saw a thin cloud of smoke rising around the driver’s head. ‘Hey, bus driver,’ I said. ‘Can I smoke?’ ‘May I,’ said the bus driver. ‘I love you,’ I said.”

“An unfamiliar restaurant can be a very disorienting thing.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mysteries of Pittsburgh.

05/18 marked as: read