Krista the Krazy Kataloguer's Reviews > Song of the Sparrow

Song of the Sparrow by Lisa Ann Sandell

Nov 12, 2007

bookshelves: read-ya, read-novels-in-verse, read-goodreads-authors, read-historical-fiction
Read in July, 2008

I have always thought that Elaine was the most tragic female character in all of Arthurian literature. I was so pleased to find that Sandell has not only told the story of how Arthur became king through Elaine's eyes, but also made her into a strong and intelligent character who would NOT commit suicide over some guy! Sandell has done a creditable job telling the story realistically, based on what life was like at the time. Her version of what the Round Table and Merlin were make sense. I also very much like the way she depicted the relationship between Gwynivere and Elaine, though I did think Gwynivere fell in love with Arthur a little too easily given her initial reluctance to the idea of an arranged marriage. Sandell's historical notes at the end of the book, and the bibliography of further reading, were welcome additions. I hope she writes another novel in verse soon. I'll definitely be buying this one for my library!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Song of the Sparrow.

message 1: by CLM (new) - added it

CLM I got this autographed by the author at BEA last year - I am glad you reminded me of it!