Catherine's Reviews > Kabul Beauty School: An American Woman Goes Behind the Veil

Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Rodriguez

Dec 14, 07

bookshelves: book-club
Read in April, 2007

Deborah Rodriguez travels from her home in Holland, Michigan as part of a group offering humanitarian aid in Afghanistan. Not being a medical professional, she was at first a little lost on how she could be of assistance to the people of Afghanistan. Once she realized that her skills as a beautician could be utilized in Afghanistan her idea for Kabul Beauty School was born. I have to give a lot of credit to the author for her courage and tenacity to actually bring the dream of the beauty school to fruition. Rodriguez's story of starting the beauty school and training these women is interesting, but the stories she shares of the Afghan women's lives are fascinating. Ms. Rodriguez's story of her arranged marriage to an Afghanistan man as his #2 wife was a bit puzzling to me. She discusses her jealousy when wife #1 gives birth to a son and other difficulties in the marriage. Despite all of the excellent work she was doing in Afghanistan, I couldn't understand how she could move there when her sons were still young. One of her sons does travel to Afghanistan for a while, but I got the impression that she physically abandoned her sons over her own selfish interests. If I'm mistaken about that it's only because that's the impression I got from the author's writing. If anyone thinks that Afghanistan, and in particular Kabul, is safer since the ousting of the Taliban after 9/11, think again. There's obviously still a long way to go. I highly recommend this book.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kabul Beauty School.