Kaitlyn Dennis's Reviews > Playing Shakespeare: An Actor's Guide

Playing Shakespeare by John Barton

Feb 21, 10

bookshelves: shakespeare, nonfiction
Read from February 17 to 21, 2010

The only thing that prevents me from giving this book five stars is that it is sometimes difficult to figure out what the actors are doing differently with their acting based on Barton's suggestions. The text outside of this is extremely clear and helpful, but it's difficult to see why it's necessary at all to copy the speeches multiple times in the text when it's impossible to see what the actor is really doing with them. It would make as much sense to print it the first time and then indicate the text is the same thereafter, and only have Barton's responses to the different techniques. Anyway, this is a small quibble; most of this is fantastic. And I know that at least one of the episodes from the tv series is up on youtube, which was very useful to see after having read the book, making it much easier to see where Barton's responses are coming from.

My version of the book also came with a DVD, which had recent informal interviews with four of the actors/actresses who worked with Barton in the original series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Playing Shakespeare.