Ch_jank-caporale's Reviews > Captain Underpants and the Preposterous Plight of the Purple Potty People

Captain Underpants and the Preposterous Plight of the Purple ... by Dav Pilkey

U 50x66
Feb 17, 10

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy-fi-sci
Read in February, 2010

Self-proclaimed "cool kids" Harold and George, hypnotize their mean Principal, Mr. Krupp, and convince him he has an alter-ego as Captain Underpants! In this eighth adventure, author Dave Pilkey has the Purple Potty time machine malfunction and George and Harold must face their own mean alter-egos, mean George and Mean Harold, who kidnap their treasured pets: Crackers and Sulu. Mass craziness ensues.
The most redeeming aspect of the book comes at the opening of chapter 2 in an explanation of grownups who "spend the first two years of their children's lives trying to make them walk and talk...and the next sixteen years trying to make them sit down and shut up." Sad, but maybe too true. A further explanation follows when the author comments "One day you're a superstar because you pooped in the toilet like a big boy, and the next you're in the principal's office because you said poopy in American History class..." !!!! Again true. We do seem to send mixed m,essages to kids! I understand why kids like this silly and degenerate humor, but I'm also glad I'm way beyond enjoying it!
A combination flip book, cartoon strip, fantasy chapter novel- I have little appreciation for the juvenile humor of Captain Underpants, which may explain why I haven't read it before now. Probably appreciated by 2nd-4th graders or very immature 5th graders!
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captain Underpants and the Preposterous Plight of the Purple Potty People.

message 1: by Ch_amyM (new)

Ch_amyM I agree that the humor in these books is beyond most adults (not all, but most), however, my second grade boys absolutely love it. They eat it up and keep asking for more.

Ch_jank-caporale That's why I chose it. When I first came back to teaching, I taught third and fourth grade combined at a school for gifted students. The same children who would consume all four of the Harry Potter books I had on my shelves in a week, would laugh and carry around Captain Underpants. They read plenty of non-fiction, and anything I asked them to read, so I figure even I like junk food, I just don't have a taste for Captain Underpants! To each his own.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 23, 2010 12:21PM) (new)

I agree with you, Jan. While I do not think Captain Underpants is ideal reading material, they are great for reluctant readers. Not only will they enjoy the humor the books have to offer, but I also think it will hold their attention. The misspelling is a bit odd, but regardless, most children love it.