willaful's Reviews > The Perfect Couple

The Perfect Couple by Brenda Novak

Feb 17, 10

bookshelves: bye, skanky-villains
Read from February 16 to 17, 2010, read count: 1

A pretty good story, well paced and suspenseful, though quite light on the romance. I was kind of intrigued by the backstory of the heroine, Zoe, a somewhat lost and downtrodden young mother with a history of unsuccessful relationships. As the story begins, she is trying to get ahead in life through marriage to a wealthy man and unfortunately, we never do get a chance to see whether she will pull her life together on her own.

But my biggest complaint is that everyone in the story is so gullible and non-suspicious, including the private eye hero, who should be experienced enough to know better. Doesn't pretty much everyone know at this point that someone who tries to be especially helpful about solving a crime is considered suspicious? (This is not a spoiler, since we know from the very beginning of the story who the villains are.) But the private eye doesn't think about this til the book is almost done. And Zoe ignores/excuses all sorts of odd things the villain does, ignoring every inkling that Something is Not Right. And it's a small plot point, but if I were the parents of a child who'd been found after being kidnapped and abused, I wouldn't let any stranger visit him in his hospital room, no matter how good their story was. Obviously the characters of this story don't read enough thrillers.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perfect Couple.