Nicole's Reviews > Clover Omnibus

Clover Omnibus by CLAMP

Feb 22, 10

bookshelves: manga, fantasy, shojo
Read from February 17 to 22, 2010 — I own a copy

This was a reissue of a classic Dark Horse series, in one giant volume. I loved the art, and the story was a departure for me in my manga reading. I love sci-fi/fantasy as a genre, but rarely find it in the manga I select. As the story progresses, we learn that society is governed by 5 psychics. At some point, they initiated a program called "Clover" where they sought children with varying levels of psychic ability...mostly as a way to keep such psychics in check and to protect their own superiority. Such children were marked with a clover - the more leafs on the clover, the stronger the abilities. Children with only 1 or 2 leafs were eventually released back into society because their abilities could never threaten the ruling body of 5. There were only 3 3-leafs, and 1 4-leaf every discovered. We learn some more about the fate of the 3-leafs, but the focus is really on the 4-leaf and her desperate loneliness. Since she would have the ability - on her own - to best the combined powers of the ruling body of 5 leading psychics, she is kept literally imprisoned in a cage, away from other humans, so that she remains naive, isolated, and controlled. The series explores how the clovers try to achieve some measure of peace and happiness in their lives. The story is - not surprisingly for sci-fi - at times quite abstract. But not in a bad way. And the art is gorgeous. A very atmospheric series that I really enjoyed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clover Omnibus.