Amy L. Campbell's Reviews > Catch-22

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Sep 30, 10

bookshelves: banned-book, 2010, blogged
Read from September 27 to 30, 2010

I think, being a military brat, that some of this stuff hit too close to home to be funny for me. After watching my mother jump through the military's hoops for 20 years and making her miserable (as evidenced by her behavior after retirement), I just couldn't help but wince at Yossarian's plight. The general disrespect for women was infuriating, but not surprising or even out of the ordinary given the time the book was written. Heller did an excellent job of describing the syndicate, which also strangely felt too close to home given our current economic situation and the weird ways in which businesses are doing business with the government and the government is (not) governing the businesses and several variations along that theme.

I don't regret reading this, I don't hate it, but I didn't necessarily "enjoy" reading it. It feels like one of those books that I need to sit with for awhile and talk with about with someone, but I haven't done that yet so for the time being, "It was okay."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catch-22.

Quotes Amy L. Liked

Joseph Heller
“The country was in peril; he was jeopardizing his traditional rights of freedom and independence by daring to exercise them.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22