Peggy's Reviews > Time Is a River

Time Is a River by Mary Alice Monroe

Feb 17, 10

Read in February, 2010

This was a great book. It spoke to me in ways no other book has. It is the story of a breast cancer survivor who makes a life for herself after her recovery, which is complicated by a divorce when her husband decides he no longer wants a relationship with her after the loss of her breast.

Mia landan is much more strong than she thinks she is. I really identified with her character because I had breast cancer 4 years ago. Mia and I both found out who our real friends were. True friends stick around for you, others don't.

Mia is able to solve a mystery for a community where she temporarily stays after her husband tells her he wants a divorce. She learns to fly fish, fix things and even builds a new sidewalk for her landlady. She learns that she is strong and can do what she puts her mind to work doing. She even forms a relationship with a fishing guide, who loves Mia for who she is and not for her missing breast.

he book gives me hope that I, too, can come out of a diagnosis of breast cancer even stronger than I am now. But, you have to wrk on your mind and body first. If you don't, you will end up feeling inadequate as a person. Mia's message is to keep up your hope and things will get better. When you lose hope, you have nothing left.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Time Is a River.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Joan Adams I agree. This book touched me in so many ways, and I am still digesting it. I have not had the breast cancer challenge, but I have had other challenges and I am so thankful I read this book!

PS Yes, you certainly can come out stronger! Sending lots of positive thought your way!