Andy Lee's Reviews > Flush

Flush by Carl Hiaasen

Feb 20, 10

Read from February 17 to 19, 2010

Sort of a slow starting book, but the writing is exquisite. The description of living on an island on the Florida Keys is done perfectly. Through the keen perspective of our hero Noah, it is easy to see how a even a teenager living on a pristine tropical island can appreciate the natural beauty of such a place, which in turn creates an admiration for such a place and such people. Not only that, there is a strong tone of reverence in the writing when it comes to the physical beauty of the setting. I imagined myself sweating alongside the sibling heroes through a tropical summer as they try to foil a super environmental villain.

At times I found myself laughing out loud, and at other times in awe of how clever the writing is.

The characters in the book are sharp and witty. A few twist and turns keep you off balance, and the book ends in a most satisfying way. Not sure if this book is intended for adults or teens, but can be enjoyed by both.

I'm pretty sure this book should be a movie and I'm sure we'll see it soon enough.

A good read, look forward to reading more of his work.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flush.