Danielle's Reviews > Some Girls Are

Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers

Feb 17, 10

bookshelves: young-adult-fiction
Read in February, 2010

This was a really dark book, especially since it was marketed for teenagers/young adults. The female protagonist Regina, had been a member of the popular group in her high school and as a result had inflicted extreme pain on some of her "friends" and strangers alike. However, now that she had to bear the brunt of the teasing and bully from her former "best friend(s)" she begins to realize how painful it must have been for the students she taunted while she herself had been popular. The teenagers in the popular group were extremely, extremely mean to the point where some of their victims felt like killing themselves. It is because of the extent/level of meanest displayed by these popular students, that it was hard to feel sympathy for Regina after she lost her popular status. It sometimes felt like Regina just apologized to her previous victims because she needed friends, any friends. It was hard to believe if she was sincere in her apology or whether the reasoning behind her apologies were inherently selfish in nature. In fact, the male protagonist takes sympathy on her and befriends her but he rightfully could not let go of his distrust of her since she personally had spread so many rumors about him in the past, that other students were wary of making him their friend and treated him like a pariah.
All in all this book was too dark for me and did not give me enough closure. The popular students who kicked and severly pummelled other students including Regina, were not punished at all. In fact they only stopped their rampage because of the threat of exposure or punishment. I know that reality rarely gives us closure but as a teenager I believed in "good triumphing over evil" or at least wickedness being punished. This book did not give me that and that prevented me from liking the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Girls Are.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Radhika (new)

Radhika Doesn't that sound a lot like Mean Girls?

Danielle Radhika wrote: "Doesn't that sound a lot like Mean Girls?"

Yes, it definitely does.

Lucille I was completely dissatisfied with the ending. I kept wanting Regina to go to the police or something, especially after she was beaten up. I wanted some measure of closure, not just, they stopped being mean because they were threatened with getting in trouble.

Danielle Lucille wrote: "I was completely dissatisfied with the ending. I kept wanting Regina to go to the police or something, especially after she was beaten up. I wanted some measure of closure, not just, they stopped b..."

Exactly! It was very anti-climatic!