Leslie (Working for the Mandroid)'s Reviews > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

2204710
Apr 12, 2010

bookshelves: drama, favorites, fiction, mystery, own
Read from February 27 to March 25, 2010

Despite being over 600 pages long, this book never dragged. It was never boring and it never seemed like it was becoming too convoluted. With a cast of characters so long and intricately woven together that the book starts with a family tree, it never got overwhelming. There was disturbing imagery at times, but nothing that didn't contribute to the story or character building.

I loved Lisbeth, the badass hacker/private investigator who has her own definition of justice. Her motives were authentic and her take on how best to get back at not only the Vogels, but also the financial industry that got Mikael stuck in jail for libel charges.

Speaking of, I found the information regarding Sweden's financial industry, libel law, money laundering and corporate espionage intriguing and it really added to the story, though I could see how others would think it dragged the story down in minutiae.

While the ending to the main mystery of "who killed the niece" was pretty predictable from the beginning, it didn't matter. Though it was framed as the main mystery, there was so much more tied into it that it became secondary to the madness

A thriller in every sense of the word, this book held up to all the hype. I have absolutely no idea how it contributes to two sequels, but I look forward to finding out.
1 like · flag