Alison's Reviews > Lunch in Paris: A Love Story, with Recipes

Lunch in Paris by Elizabeth Bard

2072777
Feb 16, 2010

Read from February 16 to 26, 2010

I really enjoyed this book. It seems like it's going to just be about a woman meeting a man in France, but then it turns into so much more. Elizabeth has such an appreciation for food and for culture--both French and American. She meets and marries Gwendal pretty early on and from there it becomes about her search for herself in a new land and the challenge of letting go of expectations for what makes her truly happy. I wish I had the cooking skills to try some of her recipes...maybe one day, but just reading through them was enough to make my mouth water. I had a stomach bug for two days while I was reading this book, and I literally could not read it for those two days, the flavors jump off the page that much. I really need to go on an eat-my-way-through-France trip some time soon. When I read books by expats I sometimes get bogged down by the "Europe is so much better than America" stuff, because while that's certainly true in many respects, it kind of leaves those of us without a European relocation on the horizon up a creek. But Elizabeth is very honest about life there versus life here and the hardships of bridging the gaps, especially in terms of her marriage to a man from a completely different culture, and thus mindset. It all rang so true on many different levels. Some will compare to Eat, Pray, Love (a book I did enjoy), but I found this Elizabeth to be overall a more settled person, who worked out her existential troubles the way most of us do--within our own countries, cities, and homes. Highly recommended--at once enjoyable and profound.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lunch in Paris.

09/13/2016 marked as: read