AJ Best's Reviews > She-Rain: A Story of Hope

She-Rain by Michael Cogdill

Mar 13, 10

Read from February 16 to March 13, 2010

I've researched other reviews for this book on the internet, and they were all glowing and wonderful. Which made writing this review even harder for me. Now don't get me wrong it was a good book, in its way, but it just wasn't a book for me.

I'm an escapist. When I read, I want to disappear into the story and forget what's going on in my life. I want to be so pulled into a book that I forget to sleep and have to pay for it the next day. She-Rain was not that story for me.

While others stated that this book "was written with the most beautiful prose", and that it was but that's exactly what threw me off kilter. The story was heartfelt and wonderful, but I had to think too much. No, I am not a dumb blond (though blond I be), but when I read I want to escape, not think!

Mr. Cogdill is a talented story teller, but I don't think that he is someone that I would be reading on a regular basis.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read She-Rain.

02/27/2010 page 20

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martha (new)

Martha Tami- I can relate to your comments here. I am finishing up a book with the same problem for me. Very well written but not my style or type of read. It took me three quarters of the book to really be comfortable with it. I kept asking where is this going and what is the point? Because it clearly seems to be a story to make a point more than entertain.

Theresa I applaud you for your honesty. I was one that sang its praise, but the "thinking" part was what I loved about it. Isn't it fun to see how we all can read the same thing and get such different reactions?

message 3: by AJ (new) - rated it 2 stars

AJ Best Theresa wrote: "I applaud you for your honesty. I was one that sang its praise, but the "thinking" part was what I loved about it. Isn't it fun to see how we all can read the same thing and get such different reac..."

Thanks for commenting. I'm glad that you loved it. This is why I don't take 'reviews' to heart when I'm reading something.