Ryan Jones's Reviews > Broker, Trader, Lawyer, Spy: The Secret World of Corporate Espionage

Broker, Trader, Lawyer, Spy by Eamon Javers

M_50x66
Feb 16, 10

Read in February, 2010

Sometimes you wish a book had a different author. I actually don't want to jump on Javers too much. The subject matter is interesting. But at the end of the day, they are just anecdotes and history sewn together without much cohesion or reason. There isn't much style or punch there either. And the writer doesn't really seem to be able to tie it together and take it to the next level. Maybe like a newspaper or magazine reporter, who just isn't ready to transition to a book that's much more than a collections of articles. And as much as he traces the industry back to the Pinkerton days, I'm not sure the author is as well-versed in the deep background as he should be. (For instance, he doesn't seem to realize the difference between the KGB and the GRU)

Having said all that, I don't regret reading the book, and I enjoyed it, for what it's worth. It covers fascinating subject matter, and one that's relevance has yet to be full understood. From Big Four companies that are infiltrated in the service of battles between shadowy Russian banks and oligarchs, to super-rich hedgefund managers who unleash international surveillance on A-list Hollywood stars to win over jet-setting Israeli supermodels, there's a lot of drama here. If the subject matter interests you, definitely check it out. Just don't expect more than a lot of these interesting stories.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broker, Trader, Lawyer, Spy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

In addition to ur joke-wriing skills, u also apparently have been hiding a serious book reviewing talent. :)