Mark Dewey's Reviews > The Garden of Eve

The Garden of Eve by K.L. Going

Feb 16, 2010

bookshelves: audio, fantasy, juvenile
Read on February 27, 2010

This is the story of a girl whose Mother has died. She seems kind of bitter about her father not being like her mom for much of the book. Anyway, she and her father move into a new place with an orchard full of dead-seeming trees. People say the orchard is cursed. Her father sets out to cultivate it, and bring the trees back to health. She meets a kid who says he's a ghost. He matches the description of a boy who recently died.

That's about as much as I can say without spoiling it. Anyway, I enjoyed the book. It was pretty different from most books I've been reading lately, although I admit I've seen similar stuff before (just not for a long time, and not in the same way). The book has character, though. I liked the cover art. I actually liked the title quite a bit, too. It's close enough to the garden of Eden that it seems natural, and of course, Eve was in the said garden—so it adds to the effect.

The narration was good, although I'm not a huge fan of narrators making their voices drastically different when they do dialog for kids—other than sort of that, it was great.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Garden of Eve.