Madeleine's Reviews > The Stand: Captain Trips

The Stand by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa

1198255
Mar 01, 10

bookshelves: graphic-content, head-in-the-clouds-nose-in-a-book, the-face-is-familar, 2010, our-libeary
Read on February 16, 2010

I have to preface this a little in the hopes that it does some justice to just how (and why) I was so excited to discover that one of my all-time favorite books was to be retooled as a graphic novel. It's been such a thrill to see "The Dark Tower" -- my other favorite King-wrought literary experience -- get the graphic-novel treatment (even though it's a completely different approach) that I just couldn't anticipate anything less than a thoroughly impressive illustrated translation of "The Stand."

You have to understand that "The Stand" is That Book for me. It's That Book I used to read when I didn't know what I wanted to read but knew I wanted to get lost in a good story with characters I knew well. It's That Book by which I measured all subsequently devoured novels for a long, long time after I first read it. It's That Book I've read so many times I can recite entire stretches of dialogue, recall dozens of word-for-word descriptions and have some of King's most gruesome scenes permanently burned into my brain.

So it's a good thing that the first book in the graphic-novel re-imagining of "The Stand" delivers. Oh, does it ever deliver. It holds true to so many of the book's descriptions, lines, characters and goings on; what it chooses to omit from the story seems to be done so for pacing and for the sake of keeping the story in motion. The art is just so perfect for the mood of the plot -- and, of course, it's stunning in its detail, talent and ability to match exactly how I saw so much of the story for so long.

But -- and this is the most important part, of course -- the depictions of the characters get extra props since the creative minds chose to deviate from the miniseries' depiction of the players: Frannie looks nothing like Molly Ringwald, Nick looks nothing like Rob Lowe and Gen. Starkey looks nothing like Ed Harris (though no one wonders if they should point out his mispronunciation of "Yeats,"but I guess that's what you lose when narration is largely replaced with art). I will say, however, that I am a little more than bummed that Stu looks nothing like Gary Sinise, which, I think, might actually be my biggest problem with this venture thus far.

Other than that, color me pleased. I can't see my resolve to wait before picking up the second installation lasting for too long at all.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stand.

02/19/2010 page 74