A.O. Peart's Reviews > Hush, Hush

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Apr 04, 2010

Read from February 18 to 24, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick - contains spoilers

I have to admit I was bracing myself for another YA disappointing book. But the truth is I couldn’t put this one down! Kudos to the first time published author, Becca Fitzpatrick. Don’t get me wrong, I find a few things in Hush Hush that I wish were done differently but overall I would recommend this book as it is fun to read. Being tired of vampire this and vampire that, I welcome this fresh idea of a romance between a regular girl and a fallen angel. Not bad.

So, this is what I either didn’t like or at least didn’t care about much:

1. The characters could be developed a bit better but this is definitely not a huge issue. I wish the protagonist’s (Nora’s) best friend (Vee) was a completely different person. She irritates the heck out of me, but maybe that was the author’s intention? If so, I’m not sure why. I would like to see Vee smarter and more responsible or, at least not as naïve and stupid.

2. Nora would be a better protagonist if she started building her conviction towards Patch slowly and with more narrative explanation about what makes her trust this particular boy so much. Nora is not a trusty person at all.

3. The school psychologist’s character is not developed properly. She is just too predictable: a reader smells a phony from 10 miles away. She should be more of a surprise: first intriguing and very interested in helping Nora, gaining Nora’s approval and trust. It’s just too easy to spot her as a definite trouble from her very first appearance in the story.

4. I was glad the author thought of a great way to release Patch from his previous wild sins (I don’t want to leave too many spoilers for those who actually haven’t read the book) and let him become Nora’s guardian angel. But when he explains to Nora what does a guardian angel actually do, he only refers to protecting her body and NOT her soul. Hmmmm. I know, I know, the “body” remark was placed here to assure a reader of an ongoing romantic relationship between Nora and Patch. Duh. No, but seriously – it seems to me that with bringing in The Book of Enoch and giving the fallen a lot of believable (read: “making sense”) attributes, omitting such an important guardian angel’s characteristic as protecting human’s soul is a gut twisting error.

5. I would like to see much more interaction between Nora and Patch throughout the book.

On the other hand, this is what I appreciated in Hush Hush:

1. I loved the way Patch’s character is developed. I could imagine him right from the start and the picture in my mind didn’t change a bit as I hit the end of the book. I like the fact he is a kind of a bad boy, great looking, sexy and so stubbornly confident. By the way, I’m curious what is his real name.

2. The person in a ski mask startled me at first but then annoyed me a bit. Overall his (warning: another spoiler – actually “her”) character adds a good twist to the story.

3. The plot is done really well; the writing is smooth and consistent. Taking into consideration the fact that this book is a debut, I have to congratulate Becca. I am looking forward to reading Crescendo.

4. Oh, the book cover is great – so far one of my most favorite of the year!.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hush, Hush.