Sarah's Reviews > Parenting With Love and Logic

Parenting With Love and Logic by Foster W. Cline

Mar 01, 10

Read from February 16 to March 01, 2010

This had some interesting ideas. I liked the idea that instead of punishments you have consequences: instead of a parent doling out punishment, it is the kid's choices that trigger good or bad consequences. Giving kids power and choices (but within the frame that you decide on) seems to convey that the child's thoughts and feelings and preferences are important. I like the idea that kids will make good decisions because they know what will happen if they don't, although some of the proposed consequences didn't really work for me-- like when your child beats up other kids, and the consequence is that you let him deal with his own problems and he ends up friendless. I think if your kid is beating up someone else you need to take more prompt action. Also, some of the 1. let your child go hungry 2. make your kids get out of the car and walk home seemed a little much. But some good ideas. It was interesting and thought-provoking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Parenting With Love and Logic.