Andy's Reviews > The Draco Tavern

The Draco Tavern by Larry Niven

Feb 25, 10

Read from February 16 to 25, 2010

I liked the concept of this book, but I think that I would have rather read each story separately and sought them out in their original printings. The way the book reads is like a bunch of fragmented stories that were, at some point in time, thrown together and published. I know, from reading the introduction, that Niven had these stories published throughout a 25 year period. I like the concept, as I mentioned, but for some reason together it felt a little mish-mashed and random.

With that criticism let me say that the stories themselves are pretty cool, and downright hard SF. Aliens on Earth, humans and aliens getting along and the Draco Tavern being the one place where alien species can go and have a drink before they leave Earth, or while they are there on their stay over. It felt like a scene from DS9 and Quarks bar (which is one of the coolest aspects of DS9). The respectable aspect about this book is the world and the creatures that Niven had created and seemingly kept separate from one another in their style and their nature. I think that it would be extremely confusing to create new alien species and have their characteristics kept separate from one another, at least without causing some sort of mental explosions. I guess that is what notes are for.

Without a doubt, Niven has developed a very original series that spans years of work. Great social commentary. Great detail to the alien races and their attitude towards humanity. For the most part a great concept, but probably better spent reading separate than as one novel.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Draco Tavern.