Pat's Reviews > Lucifer's Hammer

Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven

Feb 26, 10

Read from February 16 to 26, 2010

Great Book. Fully recommended to Sci-fi fans.

I literally just put it down, so my thoughts are fresh. A gripping tale, not to be read before bed every night (which I tended to do). Though sometimes predictable, the nature of the topic matter (asteroid strikes Earth, chaos ensues, and then the story of the characters finding their way through the chaos) made any predictability unimportant.

I haven't read a book that characterized the aftermath of such an event with such horrific detail. I plan on reading "The Road" next, so we'll see how this stacks against that.

The concept of a post-catastrophe civilization springing up is really interesting, and Pournelle and Niven do a great job illustrating how things would need to be done, and how so many modern conveniences would no longer be available.

After reading about how people's value is assessed (through their skills or what they can trade), and that subsequently determining whether or not they were let into the "safe" valley, I decided that I better learn a lot more about how to make important things using basic methods (such as memorizing how to make penicillin, fuel, simple electrical generators, etc).

I don't expect that an asteroid will hit Earth in my lifetime, but there are a slew of other things that could send civilization into a tailspin, and I'd rather not be left on the outside of the "safe" valley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lucifer's Hammer.