Brandy's Reviews > Playing for Pizza

Playing for Pizza by John Grisham

Feb 16, 2010

did not like it
Read on February 16, 2010

Seriously? This is probably one of the worst books I have ever read. Really.

First this book is like reading a play by play of football game after football game. Booor-ing.

Second, Grisham should stick with Law. At least with a gripping law mystery he doesn't need to add any depth to his characters and with writing this book he shows he really doesn't know how. The characters in this book are about as deep as you would expect any typical NFL football player to be. That makes for such a shallow read that it makes me think "what is the point?"

Third, the only reason I kept reading the book is because I was hoping for a great Grisham twist at the end. Unfortunately, it didn't happen. Not only did it not happen, the ending was so predictable that it was like reading the play by play of a football game someone already told you how it would end.

Lastly, he was completely unable to get me to care for the characters and even care for the place. That is saying a lot because it is my dream to tour Europe and especially Italy... I am such a foodie and dream of eating real Italian food. To say that I was uninspired by the description of the town, the culture and especially the food is saying something for how bad I felt the writing was. It was almost as if he decided one day that he wanted to try his hand at writing a story about football, sat down wrote the draft and said "huh, sounds good to me" and didn't put any effort or heart into it.

If I were John Grisham I would be embarrassed to have written this book. As for me, he lost me as a fan and I will be hard pressed to read another of his books... even if it isn't about football.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Playing for Pizza.

02/16/2010 page 74
27.21% "So far too much football for my taste."

message 1: by Louise (new)

Louise Thanks for saving me the effort of checking it out!

Brandy Your welcome. This was the funnest hate review I have ever written :)

message 3: by Kristine (new)

Kristine ditto - I might have actually tried it out - but I always appreciate hate reviews as much as love reviews. Both equally as helpful :-)

message 4: by Jolene (new)

Jolene i love your review....you are hilarious!!