Ellen's Reviews > Gerald's Game

F_50x66
Feb 16, 10

Read in February, 2010

Ewww!

Okay, so I just got a nook for Valentine's Day. <3 Which means reading is no longer quite so hard on the wrists. WOOT!!!

I've been busting my tail-feathers prepping for my final novel revision, and just wanted a quick read, which Stephen King can generally assure. So this was the first purchased book on my nook. (I did download a bunch of free content first, though.)

Well, it was a quick read (except for the end, which dragged on a bit). And I was super-impressed with King's ability to keep tensions high -- I mean, the protagonist is handcuffed to a bed for the entire novel, just about. There's a writing challenge, eh?

But there was just a bit too much UCK involved. I think he was trying to make some kind of statement about women's issues, but... erm... I never quite bought into the heroine, which is kind of necessary.

And then there was all of the... um... UCK. Let's see, a few cases of incestuous child abuse, a dog eating a woman's husband, general Creepy mistreatment of women, and what's it called when people rape the dead? Well, that.

What did I expect, it being a horror book and all, eh? I guess I was hoping for something more like Lisey's Story, where there's less, um, UCK, and a stronger storyline & protagonist. Or maybe I just don't notice how thoroughly grossed out I am when I'm really caught up in a fantastic story.

Read The Stand instead. Or The Dragon's Eye or whatever it was called. <3
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gerald's Game.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is the only Stephen King book, besides his new ones like Duma Key and Under the Dome, that I have never read. Sounds like he went to some dark places. Being King and all... Maybe I will still try it someday.