Carrie's Reviews > Guardian of the Dead

Guardian of the Dead by Karen Healey

May 02, 10

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read from February 16 to March 01, 2010

I have never heard of Maori mythology but having parents who lived for years in the South Pacific, I thought it might be interesting to learn a little more of the stories they might have heard while living among those around them. When reading this book I would suggest that (if you don’t have knowledge on this folklore) you refer to the glossary to help you understand what some of the words mean.

Ellie is a normal teenager who attends a boarding school in New Zealand. Her best friend Kevin has attracted an odd girl that Ellis just doesn’t feel good about. Not only has Kevin attached this girl but he is also being followed by a mysterious boy that becomes another one of Ellie’s friends. Ellie must give up her normal ways to protect Kevin. In doing so she discovers that the legends that she has always believed as stories, are actually true.

This story is well written and deeper than others. I look forward to reading it again. I know I will get even more out of it the second time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guardian of the Dead.