Linda (Librarian)'s Reviews > Taken

Taken by Edward Bloor

F 50x66
Nov 12, 07

Read in November, 2007

This story takes place in 2035. Although Charity, a child of privilege, lives in a gated community where she is protected by a bodyguard, she is kidnapped and held for ransom. Kidnapping is common in in 2035. Charity is familiar with the conventions of kidnapping because she did a school report on the subject. She knows what must happen, and what parents and kidnappers must do in order for her to be returned to her parents. In Charity's case, things go terribly wrong.

Bloor is the author of "Tangerine", a book that I love, and I have read every book he has written since in the hopes that he will write another great book. "Taken" is not great, but it is an interesting and suspenseful story with a surprise at the end that I did not see coming. In "Taken," differences in social and economic class between Charity and her friends and family and the kidnappers and theirs are a major part of the plot. Bloor obviously wants readers to draw parallels between Charity's world and our own. I think that he was successful in writing a thought-provoking book with a message that is not at all heavy-handed.

The bottom line is that this is an entertaining story that kept me turning the pages, but also made me think about race and class in our own time and world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Taken.