Matthew's Reviews > Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's

Look Me in the Eye by John Elder Robison

M_50x66
Mar 13, 11

Read in March, 2011

I became interested in this book after watching an episode of “America’s Next Top Model.” The new season features a woman with Asperger’s disease. Her name is Heather. She’s really hot and…whatever.

This book was written by a guy who has grown up with the disease. His brother is a well-known author. And this guy like fixes car motors or something. He’s like a mechanic now…I think, but not that there is anything wrong with that. He just can’t handle people. He’s more comfortable dealing with machines.

Anyway, the book has its flaws. He’s not as good a writer as his brother, and at times I feel like his descriptions of early childhood are vague and a little too cute. In short, I am a better writer than this guy.

But it’s interesting to try to get into the mind of someone with Asperger’s. You know, if you have ever wanted to. But, I don’t know, maybe you don’t and I’m just projecting my interests on to you. In that case I apologize. This is a really bad review. And I’d also like to apologize for that as well.

-- L. Fine

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Look Me in the Eye.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie Aspergers is not a disease. It's a disorder. In fact, it's a minor form of Autism. The style that John Elder wrote this in is how he thinks. He's not trying to be cute, or goofy. He's just being himself. The purpose of this book was to give the reader a glimpse of what living with Aspergers is like. He's come a long way for someone that quit school and is now an engineer, not "someone who just fixes cars".

Vanessa I am only on page 85 and I see many flaws in your review. Aspergers isn't a disease.

I feel as if you haven't even read the book. If you were so inclined, after seeing the "hot girl" on America's Next Top Model, you might have done a little homework prior to reading and then understood its written as a person with Aspergers thinks. Sometimes the ideas are disjointed but very logical at the same time.

In any case, from your review above I would like to say that your writing is far from superior than Mr. Robison. So rather than suggest than you have surpassed a discipline that he has no interest in being famous for, know that you too can work on the said skill.