Faith Miller's Reviews > The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

Quotes Faith Liked

We accept the love we think we deserve.
“We accept the love we think we deserve.”

Stephen Chbosky
“So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.”

Stephen Chbosky
“I think that if I ever have kids, and they are upset, I won't tell them that people are starving in China or anything like that because it wouldn't change the fact that they were upset. And even if somebody else has it much worse, that doesn't really change the fact that you have what you have.”

Stephen Chbosky
“So, I guess we are who we are for alot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.”

Stephen Chbosky
“I am very interested and fascinated how everyone loves each other, but no one really likes each other.”
tags: moi

Stephen Chbosky
“And I thought about how many people have loved those songs. And how many people got through a lot of bad times because of those songs. And how many people enjoyed good times with those songs. And how much those songs really mean. I think it would be great to have written one of those songs. I bet if I wrote one of them, I would be very proud. I hope the people who wrote those songs are happy. I hope they feel it's enough. I really do because they've made me happy. And I'm only one person.”

Stephen Chbosky
“Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn't stop for anybody.”

Stephen Chbosky
“Enjoy it. Because it's happening.”

Stephen Chbosky
“I walked over to the hill where we used to go and sled. There were a lot of little kids there. I watched them flying. Doing jumps and having races. And I thought that all those little kids are going to grow up someday. And all of those little kids are going to do the things that we do. And they will all kiss someone someday. But for now, sledding is enough. I think it would be great if sledding were always enough, but it isn't.”

Stephen Chbosky
“Downtown. Lights on buildings and everything that makes you wonder. And in that moment, I swear we were infinite.”

Stephen Chbosky
“It's just that I don't want to be somebody's crush. If somebody likes me, I want them to like the real me, not what they think I am. And I don't want them to carry it around inside. I want them to show me, so I can feel it too.”

Stephen Chbosky
“I walk around the school hallways and look at the people. I look at the teachers and wonder why they're here. If they like their jobs. Or us. And I wonder how smart they were when they were fifteen. Not in a mean way. In a curious way. It's like looking at all the students and wondering who's had their heart broken that day, and how they are able to cope with having three quizzes and a book report due on top of that. Or wondering who did the heart breaking. And wondering why.”

Stephen Chbosky
“There's nothing like deep breaths after laughing that hard. Nothing in the world like a sore stomach for the right reasons.”

Stephen Chbosky
“It was the kind of kiss that made
me know that I was never so happy in my whole life.”

Stephen Chbosky
“And all the books you've read have been read by other people. And all the songs you've loved have been heard by other people. And that girl that's pretty to you is pretty to other people. and that if you looked at these facts when you were happy, you would feel great because you are describing 'unity.”

Stephen Chbosky
“We didn't talk about anything heavy or light. We were just there together. And that was enough”

Stephen Chbosky
“I have decided that maybe I want to write when I grow up. I just don't know what I would write.”
tags: moi

Stephen Chbosky
“And I guess I realized at that moment that I really did love her. Because there was nothing to gain, and that didn't matter.”

Stephen Chbosky
“there is this one photograph... that is just beautiful. it would be impossible to describe how beautiful it is, but i’ll try. if you listen to the song “asleep,” and you think about those pretty weather days that make you remember things, and you think about the prettiest eyes you’ve known, and you cry and the person holds you back, then i think you will see the photograph. ”

Stephen Chbosky
“Sometimes, I look outside, and I think that a lot of other people have seen this snow before. Just like I think that a lot of other people have read those books before. And listened to those songs.
I wonder how they feel tonight.”

Stephen Chbosky
“I wanted to laugh. Or maybe get mad. Or maybe shrug at how strange everyone was, especially me.”

Stephen Chbosky
“It's like he would take a photograph of Sam, and the photograph
would be beautiful. And he would think that the reason the
photograph was beautiful was because of how he took it. If I took
it, I would know that the only reason it's beautiful is because of
Sam.”

Stephen Chbosky
“I think the idea is that every person has to live for his or her own life and then make the choice to share it with other people. Maybe that is what makes people "participate.”

Stephen Chbosky
“I just hope I remember to tell my kids that they are as happy as I look in my old photographs. And I hope that they believe me.”

Stephen Chbosky
“On Friday night, I was reading my new book, but my brain got tired, so I decided to watch some television instead.”

Stephen Chbosky
“You know . . . a lot of kids at school hate their parents. Some of them got hit. And some of them got caught in the middle of wrong lives. Some of them were trophies for their parents to show the neighbors like ribbons or gold stars. And some of them just wanted to drink in peace.”

Stephen Chbosky
“Standing on the fringes of life... offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.”

Stephen Chbosky
“I think it was the first time in my life I ever felt like I looked “good”. Do you know what I mean? That nice feeling when you look in the mirror, and your hair’s right for the first time in your life? I don’t think we should base so much on weight, muscles, and a good hair day, but when it happens, it’s nice. It really is.”

Stephen Chbosky
“I don't even remember the season. I just remember walking between them and feeling for the first time that I belonged somewhere.”

Stephen Chbosky
“Personally, I like to think my brother is having a college experience like they do in the movies. I don't mean the big fraternity party kind of movie. More like the movie where the guy meets a smart girl who wears a lot of sweaters and drinks cocoa. They talk about books and issues and kiss in the rain. I think something like that would be very good for him, especially if the girl were unconventionally beautiful. They are the best kind of girls, I think. I personally find 'super models' strange. I don't know why this is.”

Stephen Chbosky
“She wasn't bitter. She was sad, though. But it was a hopeful kind of sad. The kind of sad that just takes time. ”

Stephen Chbosky
“Sam and Patrick looked at me. And I looked at them. And I think they knew. Not anything specific really. They just knew. And I think that's all you can ever ask from a friend.”

Stephen Chbosky
“I don't know if it's better to be close with your daughter or make sure that she has a better life than you do.”

Stephen Chbosky
“I would die for you. But I won't live for you.”

Stephen Chbosky
“It's like when my doctor told me the story of these two brothers whose dad was a bad alcoholic. One brother grew up to be a successful carpenter and never drank. The other brother ended up being a drinker as bad as his dad was. When they asked the first brother why he didn't drink, he said that after he saw what it did to his father, he could never bring himself to even try it. When they asked the other brother, he said that he guessed he learned how to drink on his father's knee. So, I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.”

Stephen Chbosky
“Sam has brown hair and very, very pretty green eyes. The kind of green that doesn't make a big deal about itself. ”

Stephen Chbosky
“Patrick started running after the sunset. And Sam immediately followed him. And I saw them in silhouette. Running after the sun.”

Stephen Chbosky
“So, I looked up, and we were in this giant dome like a glass snowball, and Mark said that the amazing white stars were really only holes in the black glass of the dome, and when you went to heaven, the glass broke away, and there was nothing but a whole sheet of star white, which is brighter than anything but doesn't hurt your eyes. It was vast and open and thinly quiet, and I felt so small.”

Stephen Chbosky
“I sat down and tried to write a story.

"Ian MacArthur is a wonderful sweet fellow who wears glasses and peers out of them with delight."

That was the first sentence. The problem was that I just couldn't think of the next one. After cleaning my room three times, I decided to leave Ian alone for a while because I was starting to get mad at him.”