Eileen Souza's Reviews > Cane River

Cane River by Lalita Tademy

Feb 23, 10

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read from February 16 to 23, 2010

This was a great work of historical fiction! The book is the story of four of the authors predecessors, who lived in Louisiana before and after the Civil War. It was fiction, but based on family stories, geneological records, and research conducted by the author.

I loved two specific things about this book, but first and foremost come the characters - who were by no means perfect, and lived unique and challenging lives. Elisabeth was a slave who had been sold from Virginia to a Creole estate where only french was spoken. She was quiet and yet full of strength. She handled what was handed to her, and still found a way to be human. Suzette was a woman passionate about building herself up, but falling to the inevitable as a slave and still finding a way to move forward. Philomene was a tiger who would stop at nothing to do for her family and her children, and find her way to freedom. Finally, Emily was was a woman who found true love and happiness - and refused to let it go.

The other thing that I really loved were the records and pictures scattered throughout the book. Often when I read historical fiction, I wonder how accurate the story really is. In this book, as you read the story, you also saw the official documents that prove that it actually happened.

A great book - I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cane River.