Rachel's Reviews > Anne of Windy Poplars

Anne of Windy Poplars by L.M. Montgomery

2097698
Feb 26, 10

it was ok

Most of the beginning of the book is written in the form of letters to Gilbert, and I didn't quite like it. Oh...Sudden thought: I suppose people who steam other people's mail to read the contents would have appreciated this seeing as it's a free peek into other people's private letters, but in this case the thrill is kind of non-existent because there isn't any challenge anymore, and frankly, try as she may to be interesting, her letters are not. Thus, I'd recommend this as a very good hypnotic. Take two chapters before bed, and you'll be out like ... like a rabbit on a hot afternoon.

That said, I did like some bits, this is, after all, an Anne story. I found Summerside's residents to be quite ... odd. There was the Pringle clans and there was Rebecca Drew (one can never call Rebecca without instinctively uttering her surname, apparently. Anne says so, I've tried, and it's true.) And true to the Anne sequels so far, quite a bit of the book is padded with romantic subplots of different characters never mentioned before, nor again in the book(most of which nosy Anne gets herself tangled in). I suppose L.M. Montgomery ran out of ideas, or maybe she knows that's what most of her readers are interested in.

Overall, it's still good fun despite, or perhaps, because Green Gables is made out to be even more of a Heaven on Earth than ever, reality seems to warps itself to make Anne's life as smooth as possible, problems are miraculously solved on their own, and at no point were you doubtful that this book would have a happy ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anne of Windy Poplars.