jD's Reviews > Kushiel's Mercy

Kushiel's Mercy by Jacqueline Carey

This is the 6th book in the series. They are written as trilogies. I did not see my addiction for this series coming. After reading the first book, Kushiel's Dart, I did not think she did a good job of describing the religion around Eula. Despite this, the characters jumped off the page as did the world she had created. I generally don't enjoy political drama at that level but I was hooked by the time I was done. Thus I read all six. By the end, I understood the religions of this world and it made sense.

The story is told from the first person. It is like reading a diary. The fisrt trilogy was told from a woman's perspective. The second trilogy was written from a male's. It made no difference, the story lines are rich. There is no heartache Ms. Carey won't introduce. The price of happiness for these characters is always high. There were times I held my breath because I knew that a character was not going to be spared.

All in all, the endings were always satisfying and comprehensive. It is not a series I would recommend lightly because it is not light reading and its not for the impatient. She has excellent pacing and if you can hold your breath through some of the scenes, its worth it for the endings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kushiel's Mercy.