Kenny's Reviews > The Murder of King Tut

Feb 15, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: fiction
Read in February, 2010

To say Patterson writes ten books a year is supposed to be a compliment. It shouldn't be.

Obviously, his co-writers do most of the work and I suspect in this case Patterson merely wrote the self-serving self-descriptive entries and broke the book down into his famous "two page" chapters, because he thinks his readers are such numbskulls that they cannot concentrate for more than sixty seconds at a time.

He may be right, if you judge his readers by the writer.

Was Tutankhamun murdered? As an afficionado of Egytian history, I'm well aware of the controversy in the scientific community over this very issue. But Patterson et al. do not resolve the mystery, so be forewarned. In short, Tut either died by an accident or was murdered by someone in the royal household. That is the extent of Patterson's revelation. I'm not kidding.

James Patterson is a pedestrian writer whose books are the literary equivalent of daytime television: you can skip entire chapters/episodes and not miss a thing. In fact, in this case, you can even skip the ending.

I wish I'd skipped the beginning and the middle, too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Murder of King Tut.

03/28/2016 marked as: read

Heidi Your review is spot on! I agree, especially with the 2 page chapters!

message 2: by Ian (new)

Ian Hood Patterson's Tut book contains nothing new. It has all been in the public domain for years. Two things wrong: Tut's widow tells her maid "take a letter" as though she is a stenographer. The letter was to the Hittite King and would have been in formal diplomatic prose with ceremonial greetings, the King's string of titles, etc. No maid would have the ability or the authority to write it, even if she could write at all. It would have been written by one of the Pharaoh's senior scribes, a man with the experience to know what was required and to get it right. All scribes were male and guarded their knowledge jealously. Second error: Tutankhamun is addressed by that name during his childhood. His name then was Tutankhaten, but was changed after he became Pharaoh. Patterson has a poor (if any) grasp of the events of the Amarna period.

Russ Crossley Wow! Some review. Good thing he has big bank account.

message 4: by Sally-Adrina (new)

Sally-Adrina One of the best written reviews I have ever read. Great job Kenny!