David's Reviews > Heavy Liquid

Feb 15, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: comix
Read in February, 2010

I enjoyed this much more the second time around. Actually, the first time I didn't make it all the way through.

The story is set in a not-too-distant (distopian?) future. The main character "S" is a functioning addict. He traffics in a substance called Heavy Liquid - a drug? a weapon? alien in nature? The story both finds him on the run from a heist gone bad, and as a "Finder" hired to track down a missing sculptor for a Howard Hughes type. There's also definitely a William Gibson influence here.

Sound bizarre? Well, it kind of is. I think that's why I had a hard time of sticking with this the first time around. But on the second read I actually found the the ingredients of this story to be quite genius. There were just some challenges in knitting some of these ingredients together.

Pope does a great job of capturing the energy of the cities in which the story is set (New York and Paris). You really get a sense of being there.

The ending was unexpected - in a good way - and had me wanting more. And Pope's art is of course amazing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heavy Liquid.