Julie's Reviews > The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks & Win Your Inner Creative Battles

The War of Art by Steven Pressfield

Feb 15, 10

bookshelves: writing, nonfiction
Read in February, 2010

I had high hopes for this book, even as I was reading it. He says the reason we procrastinate and never get down to doing what we feel we're meant to be doing or want to be doing is Resistance. He shows the many forms Resistance takes. And says we're at war with it.

And at that point, I'm saying, "Yes, yes. Absolutely right."

But then the next part of the book is supposed to be telling us how to combat Resistance. Isn't it? But it just meanders on about the difference between an Amateur and a Professional. And it all basically boils down to 'A writer writes.' and 'Put butt in chair'. Like I hadn't heard that before. Like I don't _know_ that.

You haven't offered me any specific, detailed ways to beat Resistance. How do I sneak up on it? How do I trick it? How do I whittle away at it bit by bit?

And then towards the end of the book he starts going on about Muses and Angels and spiritual crap. Until I felt like I was reading _The Secret_ all over again.

Sigh. Sigh. Sigh.

But perhaps I can finally get around to reading The Art of War and name Resistance as my foe. And see if I come up with anything out of that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The War of Art.

Danielle Dunno if you're still looking for ways around the Resistance, but Julia Cameron's THE RIGHT TO WRITE book has a lot of great ideas in it that trick you into writing during those days you don't feel like it. I really recommend it.